Skip to main content

The best of The Patch and a Norfolk Day Walk

I led a cosy (ie few people attended) walk on Norfolk Day weekend, from The New Inn at Rockland out to the broad, river and back. It was advertised as a Bat walk but as with any dusk walk there was plenty of other wildlife to enjoy. By the staithe, a Lesser Stag Beetle scuttled along the path. Although the broad was quiet save Ducks in eclipse plumage, at the back a Bittern flew over the reedbed in the direction of Wheatfen. This was actually my first record of the year on the patch, having not made an early starts in April (this side of the river at least) where I would usually at least hear booming. As dusk entered darkness and a slightly blood-red moon rose, 2 Hobby hunted close to us, one eating a large Hawker on the wing as they tend to do. It was on the return leg that we connected with Bats, and initially plenty of them. At least 6 Noctule hawked over the river and scrub by Short Dyke, lots of feeding buzzes heard over the detector for the party to enjoy. These are Britain's biggest Bat, and primarily a tree roosting species. They appeared very suddenly as a group, suggesting they are using the willows or similar as a nursery roost site nearby. Heading back to the pub for last orders, Common and Soprano Pipistrelle were easily picked up via the detector and occasionally seen by moon light. A fantastic walk that showcased the variety on and around Rockland Broad.

Yesterday I met up with my uncle who volunteers at Minsmere as a 'Guide in a Hide' every Tuesday. The scrape and pools were looking ripe for rare, but on this day we were happy to settle with variety. 2 Curlew Sandpiper were amongst a 44-strong flock of Dunlin, and I counted 11 Spotted Redshank in an array of full summer to full winter plumages. Terns were feeding young on the islands, and Med Gulls and a Kittiwake loafed in the sun. Most striking were around 10 Turnstone in wonderful ruddy summer best. We counted at least 3 each of Green and Common Sandpiper, but could not find the Wood that had been reported. I enjoyed a comment from a chap in reception asking us about this bird. Upon saying we had not seen it, he proclaimed "But, it's on the internet".

I popped into the Blyth Estuary on the way home, but the tide was high so little was seen of note, but it won't be long until the first Osprey drops in on route back to Africa.

Below are a few snaps from a recent visit to Church Marsh. A young Toadlet proved difficult to spot amongst the damp undergrwoth after a rare shower, and a/the Common Tern has been present on and off since May. The last photo though- what a contrast. The rich, green verdant colour of the fen and then the parched yellow and golden grazing meadow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic