Skip to main content

Reflections.

A great summer of wildlife to reflect upon. Looking back at my diary notes, a number of items jump off the page and I will embellish upon a few here.

Early August I caught up with a tiny percentage of the Pied Flycatcher influx. I left the girls for half an hour on Caister beach on the 3rd of August (thankfully they were there when I returned) and stumbled across a single bird feeding on flying ants perhaps amongst the gorse. The following day I met up with Tim at Waxham, had a good yarn about all things education, and whilst most birds had cleared out I still picked up one bird calling loudly overhead.

The 10th was an odd day for me. I saw a new bird for the UK in Spotted Crake, but views were particuarly underwhelming and did make me question the whole twitching thing once again. On reflection, the day was more about spending quality time with my uncle and I will probably remember it more for that and getting soaked on route back to the car.

On the 18th of August, with the M40 as a backdrop, I went searching for Butterflies on a chalk hillside in Oxfordshire, Aston Rowant nature reserve. It was a windy day, but the Blues showed well especially in any dips and hollows away from the elements. Adonis, Common, Chalkhill Blue and the most Brown Argus I have ever seen, were abundant. Realising I was running out of time to leave and beat the traffic into Bristol for the night, I trudged back greeted by the dazzling flush of the odd blue. I thought, I'll just check behind that bramble one more time......and there it was! A single Silver-spotted Skipper, my official target species for the venture. It allowed close approach before belting off across the hill never seen again. My weekend continued with a 10 mile hike on Dartmoor over hill and bog, and then the worst conditions I have ever Moth-trapped in threw up an Ear Moth in the tent with me. God bless OS maps and The Warren House Inn, I doubt the group would have survived if either had not been present to assist.

Back home, a Semi-palmated Sandpiper at Minsmere was another new bird for me. The compact shape, pale colours and relaxed feeding motion allowed me to distinguish this from Little Stint, and I felt like I had a decent shot of calling one in the field myself. Can but hope. The relaxed feeding notion was continued with a day birding by pub in the company of the excellent trio of James, Gary and Adam. 44 Species for the day, and more beers than were necessary to not see a Wren. Thanks to James for driving, and for introducing me to The Gunton Arms.

I have really gotten a lot out of late night Mothing. A rainy Wheatfen and 2 trips to Knettishall Heath have all been great, that feeling of anything could be possible once dusk gives way to dark. A couple of real punch the air moments at Knettishall when my first Marbled Clover and Clouded Buff came to light. I have another visit to Wheatfen planned for later this month. Still no Convolvulous in the garden, but Tree Lichen Beauty is gunning for the Moth of the year award right now.

Best til last. The girls and I went WeBs counting at Rockland Broad this weekend gone. The back to work feeling had set in, and there was an element of routine about the visit. Quickly putting pay to that was a hunting Osprey, fantastic views for all 3 of us. Rose had to be restrained from leaving the hide via the window, such was the euphoria she could sense inside. Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel and Osprey all within 2 miles of the home in one day. Once again, the patch both grounds and inspires me as we head into Autumn.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

Claxton-on-sea!

 Although it was not quite the Christmas we wanted here in the valley, the rain has bought its own gift. A grim vision of the future, perhaps. But right now, the patch is peaking and is alive with birds, and for that I am thankful. On Christmas eve, it was a job to navigate away from the village due to standing water that had left abandoned cars and undelivered presents in its wake. The rain had been persistent and unforgiving, the ground, saturated. Over on the marsh, where there had once been a muddy puddle amongst the pasture, a city had sprung from the leak, with a plethora of new occupants noisily laying claim to a patch of sodden marsh. Wigeon and Black-headed Gulls in their thousands now wheeled and whistled over and amongst the newly formed pools, accompanied by smaller numbers of Teal and Shoveler. A flock of two hundred-strong Lapwing enjoyed feeding on the less damp spots where green grass was still exposed, and thrown in for good measure have been a couple of Ruff, the firs

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee