Skip to main content

Reflect on a Pec, and a look at the new norm

In a year that has delivered more than its fair share of loss, grief and uncertainty, it is perhaps ironic that the period of national lockdown provided myself and closest family with both happiness and security. Like everyone, it was hard not to hold loved ones away from home, but the enforced measures meant we had more time together as a 3. We are lucky to live in the South Yare Valley, complete with garden, home to some chickens and as it turns out, 3 Hedgehogs and a lot of Moths. Many a happy day has been spent teaching my daughter how to tend to the chickens, explaining what makes a tomato happy and of course walks down the marsh. Only the other day we stumbled across an Otter, a piece of magic from a box of tricks that keeps on giving. With no choice but to stay at home, every day became an intimate look at parish life for the flora and fauna. Water Voles, dyke dipping, the garden Mole and passing Cranes- experiences I would have missed had we not all been at home. Historical readers of the blog will know that we are a family in touch with nature, but the lockdown experience has made us count our blessings at a time when it would have been easy to throw in the towel. The detail around that is not for here, but needless to say as we emerge into the golden light of the year, we have reevaluated for the better. I feel deeply connected to this landscape, and whilst I still seek experiences further afield, the patch continues to satisfy my appetite for the natural world.  As a birder, I like to keep my eye in and get better (see below) but as a person, it is important for me to remain a part of the community and move with the seasons.I have walked miles this summer; there is still more to see. 

Everyone is different. I do not begrudge folk the odd trip abroad, the odd twitch. But today, a journey during lockdown to see a rare Tern is utterly abhorrent. Regular long haul flights need to become a thing of the past. There is a lot of talk around at the moment encouraging change. Talk is cheap. Instead, act. Lead by example and join the #lowcarbonbirding movement. Live sustainably where you can. Join the RSPB. If you are a frequent flyer, consider fallow years. Demand change from those in power and be voice of change. Pledge to rewild some of your land. Tweeting- 'This Must Stop!' is not enough, and never has been enough. There is still time. 

Soapbox dismounted. 

Dickleburgh Moor is an inland site not far from Diss, and after a report of 9 Curlew Sandpipers I was keen to get over there and see what the fuss was about. Although the aforementioned Waders were distant, the huge puddle held plenty of interest including 30+ Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail and a Hobby overhead. I was keen to return, so dragged along cousin-uncle duo Ben and Colin Moyes and a few days later we were back at the puddle. Catching up, chatting, scanning, we had rolled out the usual lines about potential, and guessed what birds may turn up next. The 3 Spotted Redshank on view were presumably a first for the site, so what was next? I picked up a small Wader obscured by mud which after a raptor passed by overhead was flushed, and I lost it until it was high in the sky and guessed it may have been a Dunlin. Ten minutes later, Ben exclaimed "Jim, I've got your Wader". "Does it look like a Pectoral Sandpiper?!" I asked, kind of tongue in cheek but kind of knowing what the answer would be. "Yes, it does!" Ben exclaimed. The three of us were thrilled, but naturally a little nervy. I had not seen a Pec for a few years, and it was important we obtained decent views and made notes. Long primary projection, breast band stops suddenly at belly, appears long-necked when alert, clearly a juv. We were quickly able to confirm Ben's call and put the news out. A decent bird to have a hand in finding, and best of all it was with my family. Get in Moysie!

Photo: Ben Moyes


Back on the patch, a Hornet infestation put an early end to a Moth trapping session in Wheatfen last night. Returning home, the trap was adorned with Frosted Orange, Black Rustic and Large Wainscot. Early Autumn is perhaps my favourite time to be trapping. As the days warm up, the ivy hums with life. Willow Emerald is an ever later visitor to the garden. Early morning walks to Rockland broad are leaving me with dew-soaked feet, and I wonder when is the right time to break out the wellington boots. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic