Skip to main content

Patch bang wallop!

New Year's Day was an absolute shocker weather-wise after around 10pm, so bar a pub lunch Debs and I kept a low profile. Today however was a perfect opportunity to get the 2014 patch list up and running, albeit flying solo. This was a bird race, versus no-one.
Beginning at Surlingham Church Marsh, the bright sunshine meant the resident birds were seemingly more active than usual at this time of year. It did not take long to add Marsh Tit, Goldcrest (2) and wintering Siskin to the list. Looking across the river to Wood's End, an early contender for bird of the day: a Peregrine Falcon! Not recorded anywhere on the patch last year, back of the net! A real powerhouse in flight, a female I reckon. The Falcon had forced most stuff off the marsh, but a second treat in the shape of 15! Curlew circled and landed, a patch record smashed and to boot a tricky bird on the year list. Moving on round the muddy circuit, the expected species were added including Bullfinch (female), Lesser Redpoll, Treecreeper and Kingfisher. Heading to Wheatfen, I had amassed 40 species, the only 'dips' being Little Owl and Gadwall (elusive in Winter).

The warden agreed that it had been quiet of late, and the main focus of their work had been dealing with storm damage. I walked most of the circuit and saw very little, let alone new species. The Redpoll hotspot was silent. The 15 Curlew were seen again, circling over Rockland now. Into Tuck's (Surlingham) Wood and I fared a little better, picking up Song and Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare and to complete the set Redwing.

I had hoped for a few Wildfowl species on Rockland Broad but as is par for the course there was bugger all on the water apart from a few Coot and Tufted Duck. A Marsh Harrier with a green tag on either wing was of note, this female bird from the ringing project based at Sculthorpe I understand. Walking back to the carpark past Hellington Beck Outfall, something inside me suggested a closer look at the water's edge was necessary. A Grey Heron was flushed, and then the bird of the day was found; a Grey Wagtail. These birds always look so dapper, and apart from an old Church Marsh record from a few years back I had assumed is this species no longer bred on the patch. Now, this could be a wintering bird, but upon close inspection this is ideal habitat; have I overlooked this species? The patch continues to throw up surprises, and another species not recorded anywhere last year. Now on 50 birds, 60 do-able?

Claxton Marshes handed me Short-eared Owls last Winter, no such luck so far this period but an early Barn Owl was out and about. Looking across the river, I cheekily added Golden Plover, Barnacle and Canada Geese. A group of 6 Linnet were a bonus. 2 more Peregine, how the hell did I miss them last year?!

Last stop with the light fading, Langley Dyke. The 2 birds I needed for a nice round 60 soon appeared.  A Little Egret was fishing the dyke, and a hunting Barn Owl flushed patch favourite Green Sandpiper! I waited until dark for a Hen Harrier, but instead was treated to the Corvid roost commuting overhead and a calling Little Owl- 61 at the finish!

I occasionally pine after a coastal patch, or at least a location closer to the sea. The chance of finding a rarity increases, passage birds in evidence, sea watching etc. But today reminded me why birding the broads as a patch is hard to beat. Quality and quantity on tap, you just have to find it!

Driving home got me thinking what I had missed, and would 70 species be possible? I think with colder weather it would. Birds out there that I missed today:

Nuthatch
Pink-footed Goose
Meadow Pipit
Gadwall
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Skylark
Yellowhammer
Brambling

And that would bring me to 70. Add to that (a mix of birds I HAVE seen and birds I KNOW are out there):

Common Snipe (an obvious miss today)
Kestrel (as above)
Cetti's Warbler
Reed Bunting
Hen Harrier
Pochard
Short-eared Owl
Tawny Owl
Waxwing
Wild Swans
Jack Snipe
Merlin
Long-eared Owl
Bittern
Bearded Tit

and you're over 80 for a Winter's day south of the Yare. It would have to be an exceptional day, preferably more than one pair of eyes would help.

Apologies for the listing and extended musing, but this again got me thinking about targets for this year (cannot be arsed with a 2013 reflection, Red-flanked Bluetail and Surlingham Redstart nuff said).
This bit needs careful consideration so for now I will just type OSPREY and go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

Claxton-on-sea!

 Although it was not quite the Christmas we wanted here in the valley, the rain has bought its own gift. A grim vision of the future, perhaps. But right now, the patch is peaking and is alive with birds, and for that I am thankful. On Christmas eve, it was a job to navigate away from the village due to standing water that had left abandoned cars and undelivered presents in its wake. The rain had been persistent and unforgiving, the ground, saturated. Over on the marsh, where there had once been a muddy puddle amongst the pasture, a city had sprung from the leak, with a plethora of new occupants noisily laying claim to a patch of sodden marsh. Wigeon and Black-headed Gulls in their thousands now wheeled and whistled over and amongst the newly formed pools, accompanied by smaller numbers of Teal and Shoveler. A flock of two hundred-strong Lapwing enjoyed feeding on the less damp spots where green grass was still exposed, and thrown in for good measure have been a couple of Ruff, the firs

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee