Skip to main content

Another patch lifer followed by Raptor fest

Ricky was able to join me for the afternoon of the 21st, and I was hoping he would bring some of his good luck with him after finding a Merlin on his patch at Thorpe earlier in the week. I'l be honest- the circuit around Church Marsh felt a little lifeless indeed mundane as we approached the river bend behind the hide. Ricky had certainly bought that luck of the Cleverley, for on the river was a female Scaup! Initially I thought I was looking at a female Tufted with large white flash at the bill base, but a closer inspection through the bins revealed a clearly larger Duck with a longer looking head and larger bill. We watched the bird for around 10 minutes before she dived, and oddly that was the last we saw of her. Scaup can dive and will hunt for food underwater but I cannot believe she did not surface in the 7 or so minutes we waited. Perhaps the Scaup surfaced round the river bend. Whatever the case, this will go down as a highlight of the year when I look back and I was pleased that we were able to properly grill this bird in case of a Lesser mis-ID! I took an awful record shot with my awful camera, I'll include it here for the sake of completeness.


A few teal were on the lagoon, and the bright conditions encouraged 2 Buzzard and 1 Kestrel into the sky to soar and latterly hunt. This boded well for our visit to Waveney Forest later on. Before we left, we explored a little off piste hoping to add to the Wildfowl count. We were delighted to flush a Woodcock, which took off, veered toward us before bombing past into the nearby woodland. Classic view of a cryptic species. 

We arrived at the mound in Waveney Forest mid-afternoon, narrowly missing a female Hen Harrier as we were just setting up. This was not to be a setback, for everywhere we looked we could see Raptors. At least 7 Short-eared Owl were on the wing, tussling with Kestrels, Crows and even each other. Some of this played out close enough that we could hear the grunts and squeaks of the Owls. Superb! A Rough-legged Buzzard was present, along with 2 Commons. 3 Barn Owl hunted, one carried food almost within touching distance of the assembled birders. Ricky spotted a Kingfisher whizzing along a dyke, and a Chinese Water Deer fed nearby. As we began to lose the light, Marsh Harriers became more obvious and Short-eared Owl activity dropped off slightly. What a superb area for Raptors this is, one can only guess how many in total use these marshes over Winter.

Having stopped off to grab dinner for myself, I called in at the patch as darkness fell. A c3000 strong Corvid roost left Claxton for Buckenham, 2 Barn Owls hunted and 10 Golden Plover breezed through, marking the third patch year tick of the day. Norfolk and the patch on fine form! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic