Skip to main content

Scotland trip report April 2015

What follows is a brief write up of my now annual trip to Scotland, staying with a friend in Inverness and birding the Highlands and surrounds. Bar the first day, weather was mild and I was removing layers of clothing rather than adding them. On the final day, Sunday, I was sat in a pub outside Loch Ness eating lunch and it was positively balmy.

1st April. Having arrived at lunchtime, I rested for a while and then was taken to a local patch of woodland called Craig Phadraig. This was a fairly typical largish block of pine atop a hill, which used to be the site of a Pictish fort. It was rather breezy up here and it even snowed for a short time. I soon picked up some calling Crossbill (already better than last year's total of zero), Siskin, Coal tit and a flyover Red Kite back at the carpark. A nice introduction to my time up here.

2nd April. I set off after breakfast for Brora, where incredibly one of two Harlequin Ducks in Scotland was hanging on into the Spring. The drive was punctuated by regular sightings of Red Kite and Common Buzzard, and this was to be the norm for the rest of the trip. I initially missed the turning for Sputie Burn and ended up in Brora itself, although I did have 10+ Purple Sandpiper here and a resplendent Red-throated Diver on the sea. Retracing my tracks, I located the turn off and parked where I probably shouldn't have before heading down towards the sea. I quickly locked onto a diving Duck, which revealed itself to be the female Harlequin. A British lifer and an excellent start to the trip. Better together! Also here were Golceneye, Razorbill, RT Diver and a pair of Grey Wagtail.
With the weather improving by the hour I changed my plans slightly, and headed to the Findhorn Valley to do some Raptor watching. This has to be one of the best places in Scotland for Birds of Prey, and with a backdrop like you will see below, one of the best places to bird full stop.




Wild Goat, Mountain Hare and Red Deer upped the mammal list for the trip. Peregrine, Buzzard and Kestrel called and hunted amongst the crags. What I had really come for though, appeared from behind the left hand ridge in the above photo. First one, then two Golden Eagle! A lifelong ambition to clap eyes on one, until now just a picture in bird books I owned as a child. Great to spot them myself, and watch them soar, perch and interact in their domain. A superb end to the day.

April 3rd. An early start today, arriving at Loch Garten Caper watch just after 6. EJ, the local Osprey, had returned yesterday evening and was observed adding sticks to the nest and having a general clear-out. Good for her. No sign of any Capercaillies by half 7, so I headed to a site for Black Grouse not too far away. I drew a blank at the first place, but scored at the second, watching 10 males and 4 females at a lek. Glorious stuff, and I was glad of the wind which carried their bubbling calls in my direction. My next stop was Anagach Woods, another chance for Caper and perhaps some interesting Crossbill. Plenty of Crossbill in the woods, and some had a faster alarm-like call, but nothing to observe for any length of time. I walked for miles, hoping for a glimpse of the giant Grouse, This wasn't to be, but I did add Crested Tit and Red Squirrel to the trip list.

 A drive home via Lochindorb, and I added more RT Diver and Redshank to the list. Below was a very territorial Red Grouse, who was not a bit bothered by the car even when I wound down my window.

4th April. I found out that a Ring-billed Gull had been over-wintering in Dingwall, which itself has a decent history of scarce Gulls. We picked up a loaf of bread from Tesco, and wandered over to the small boating lake where the bird was last seen. Slowly plucking the bread to pieces and launching it into the air, we were treated to a scene from a Hitchcock film, and of course the Ring-Billed Gull- another lifer for me.


 April 5th. Before flying home, I was glad to get to Loch Ness which although devoid of bird life does of course have a certain legendary connection with a mythical beast. The exhibition here is really rather good, and whilst I love the idea of a left over Plesiosaur, scientifically this is highly unlikely. Perhaps the photos and reports relate to Sturgeon, but whatever the case it was a glorious day and a fine end to the trip. I will return next year for my fill of wilderness and whisky- no there's a name for a tour company.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic