Skip to main content

Quality abounds on the patch in October

It has been difficult to tear myself away from the coast this October, but with so many birds on the move at this time of year some consistent patching was bound to turn up some good birds.

Starting though with something much more local, the continued and indeed strengthening presence of Bearded Tit at Surlingham Church Marsh. Recalling the halcyon days of summer, I had seen a maximum of 3 birds together at any one time but was convinced there were more. On the 15th, I recorded a group of 7 erupting out of the reedbed, and could hear a further 2 individuals pinging from whence the small flock came. This count of 9 represents my record count on the reserve and indeed on the patch and will be looked back upon as a highlight of the year for sure. Elsewhere on the reserve, there has been an expected increase in numbers of Goldcrest and Thrushes, and on the 25th a visit with Ricky heralded the arrival of Autumn proper with a wheezing Brambling and the second Woodcock of the Winter period, hot on the heels of a bird at dusk on Claxton Marshes the previous evening. I record Woodcock annually at a part of Church Marsh not accessible to the public (volunteer warden privileges) but if you want to catch up with this bird, now is a good time and I would recommend Rockland Dyke which backs on to Wheatfen. As for Brambling, that delightful Autumnal Finch, I have now heard 4 in the last week having not recorded them at all in the first Winter period of this year. Like Shorelark on the coast, I hope they have a good Winter inland.

Not only the migrants are putting on a good show, but the patch regulars that can be evasive are doing their best to give themselves up at the moment. Marsh Tit are calling and being seen regularly at both Church Marsh and Rockland Broad, Water Rail are squealing from dykes (and even showing at Church Marsh, an incredible encounter where Ricky and I inadvertently flushed a pair and one landed on a perch briefly) and the now resident Chiffchaff are settling in for Winter, one in full song on the 15th. We have had to wave goodbye to the Swallows though, perhaps for the final time this year in the valley. 5 Were at Rockland Broad on the 15th.

Both male and ringtail Hen Harriers have been reported at Claxton Marshes over the last 10 days, the ringtail proving more reliable. I have been diligently watching most evenings from the footpath leading away from Claxton Mill, and whilst these evening sessions have not yielded the target bird I have enjoyed regular close encounters with Barn Owls, the burgeoning Corvid roost, grunting Snipe and an odd looking pale Buzzard. Today, determined to break my Hen Harrier duck for the year, I made an early start with the intention of catching the bird as it left the roost at Strumpshaw (assuming it commutes in the same area). It was to be a great morning for Raptors. In the dark, I could just make out 2 Barn Owl hunting almost side by side. As the light slowly developed and the marsh took on an olive tinge, Marsh Harriers and Buzzards were going about their business. At the river, I peered across to Buckenham and spotted a stunning Peregrine on a fence post, that sentinel of the marsh returning for Winter Wigeon. A Kestrel hovered no more than 15 metres from me. Best til last though- the ringtail Hen Harrier came through just before 8am. So stylish these birds, skimming the ground and seemingly more athletic than the local Marsh Harriers. I tracked it across the grazing field south of the pub, and eventually lost to view. I gave myself a moment for a fist pump, and headed towards Langley Marshes to see if the bird would stop to hunt. Viewing now from the sailing marsh, no sign of the Harrier but 2 Buzzards were giving another Raptor (with jessies) hell, possibly a Harris Hawk but difficult to be certain in the early morning light. I have seen a Harris Hawk at Coldham Hall marshes a couple of years ago, and a bird gets reported at Strumpshaw occasionally so this may be that bird living wild in the valley.

Eager to connect with the Harrier on its return journey, I tried Langley Marshes this afternoon. Carlton Marshes had 3 Short-eared Owl yesterday, perhaps they or others would work their way in this direction? Not as yet, but 4 Crane dropping onto Cantley Marsh were a pleasant surprise and my 3rd-6th records on patch after the pair over Claxton in the Spring.

Just to add, a splendid morning searching for Fungi at Wheatfen with the redoubtable James Emerson, documented here and with relatively warm temperatures, the Moth Trap has been on and Novemeber Moth Agg and Feathered Thorn have been added to the garden list. A few pics of both the foray and a Moth are on Twitter, as always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic