Skip to main content

Homba!

I was reminded of the brilliance of Richard Adams's Watership Down over Christmas, the BBC adaptation collided with mixed reviews but we at The Warren loved it. Rabbits themselves are not so common in the wider countryside today, disease the main culprit. One particular arch enemy of the rabbit, the Fox or Homba, can be heard barking and generally making an otherworldly racket at this time of year, as the dog seeks out the vixen in the hope of mating and settling down into an earth. Although widespread, the country fox is rarely seen, and my encounter last Sunday the 20th was one to remember.

I had checked the water levels at Rockland Broad around 7.30am, and was in the process of retreating through the frozen scrub back to the main path when a bark stopped me in my tracks. Leaf litter and twigs snapped, a path was being ploughed in my direction. I took a step back, and a fox shot out in front of me. Panicked, he sprinted deeper into the brush and the last I heard for now was the breaking of ice in the dyke as the fox made his escape. Breathless, I stood and listened as another individual thought better of crossing the same path and I could see her trotting away through the undergrowth. Then, that familiar musty smell hits home. Silence again. A Bullfinch calls, but no response. The bird community are not convinced it is safe to advertise its presence just yet.

I walked on following the track round the back of the broad, short dyke on my left. This time, the noise comes from the reedbed, and I readied my camera expecting to see an unsuspecting Chinese Water Deer shoot out. But whatever ritual I had disturbed earlier, the pair of foxes were not done yet. The followed each other out of the reeds, eyeballing me. The male made his way toward me, dashing off at the last second, almost like a game of chicken. The female continued to stare me down before retreating into the safety of the reedbed. These two had no cares about being safe though. This was their icy domain, and I was on their patch this morning. Further barking ensued, and finally the encounter came to an end. A Chinese Water Deer pops out, to see what the fuss was all about. 

Looking back, there was a strong sense that this pair of foxes were toying with me. They were supremely confident, criss-crossing my path. After the first meeting, they knew full well I was still in the area. Either, this was a pair mid-mating, or it was last year's young looking to hold territory with one of its parents. The latter is not an option that can be pursued for long, and I may have just seen the end of that showdown. This chance find has been on my mind a lot since last weekend. I haven't returned to the site yet, expecting to be disappointed if I do. 




Comments

  1. What lovely, atmospheric photos, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! I was fortunate to have camera in hand, and was firing off on whatever setting it was on. Lucky to get some shots to remember this by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

Claxton-on-sea!

 Although it was not quite the Christmas we wanted here in the valley, the rain has bought its own gift. A grim vision of the future, perhaps. But right now, the patch is peaking and is alive with birds, and for that I am thankful. On Christmas eve, it was a job to navigate away from the village due to standing water that had left abandoned cars and undelivered presents in its wake. The rain had been persistent and unforgiving, the ground, saturated. Over on the marsh, where there had once been a muddy puddle amongst the pasture, a city had sprung from the leak, with a plethora of new occupants noisily laying claim to a patch of sodden marsh. Wigeon and Black-headed Gulls in their thousands now wheeled and whistled over and amongst the newly formed pools, accompanied by smaller numbers of Teal and Shoveler. A flock of two hundred-strong Lapwing enjoyed feeding on the less damp spots where green grass was still exposed, and thrown in for good measure have been a couple of Ruff, the firs

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee