Skip to main content

The week just passed in review

Sensing that this was a week in which to catch up with migration in action, Debs and I headed out to the patch on Monday 15th after work. A super evening. On arriving at the river bend opposite Wood's End, that call of the wild resonated from across the Yare. Somewhere, a patch first, a Curlew was calling! I didn't have to search for him, since the large Wader flew over our heads and over Church Marsh! Elsewhere on the reserve, a Barn Owl was surprisingly and worryingly the first recorded here this year (better numbers at Claxton) and the reel of a Grasshopper Warbler also alerted us to another year first. Walking back to the car, at dusk, 5 Common Pipistrelle's caught insects high at tree top level.

Rockland Broad on Wednesday night held little of note, bar courting Great-crested Grebes.

Fast-forward to Saturday 20th, and another visit to Church Marsh mid morning. A Whitethroat sang from across the river, NFY. Willow Warbler appeared to be outnumbering Chiffchaff now, or at least were louder! 2 male Marsh Harriers are now present on the reserve, but not at the same time. One bird has almost silver coloured wing patches, very distinctive. A Great Black-backed Gull heaading towards Postwick was shockingly a second 'patch tick' of the week. Many Peacock and Comma were on the wing along with a smattering of Brimstone.

That evening, I attended a Bat detector course at Santon Downham, run jointly by Suffolk Bat Group and the BCT. This was both an informative and enjoyable course, and I learnt a lot about rhythm, tone and how variable calls can be. We were able to put our new found knowledge into practise, and despite the cold temperatures we located Soprano Pips and Daubenton's. I return here later in May for a NBMP course which will help with my intended survey work this year.

Yesterday, I took in some of the wider South Yare patch, starting with Rockland Broad. The Broad has been pretty devoid of anything decent so far this year and I am relying on it to deliver some more difficult birds I am unlikely to pick up elsewhere. Very few Ducks seem to use The Broad, perhaps it is too deep for dabbling? Anyway, enough whinging because today I struck lucky with an Arctic Tern. the bird was distant at first, although clearly 'legless' with long tail feathers. There was some black at the tip of the bill which initially threw me, although it would seem some Arctics can display this feature we would usually associate with Common. So, a top patch tick and hopefully one of a few species of Tern I will see here this year.

Later in the afternoon, Debs and I enjoyed a stroll round Langley. A Peregrine was across the river (a 'stolen' patch tick) but the best find was a Grass Snake, lounging in the sun and proving photogenic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic