Skip to main content

Breakfast (and dinner) with the birds

A glorious couple of days on the patch, full of good birds, wonderful company and fine food.

Starting mid-morning on Saturday, a report of a Black Tern at Rockland Broad meant I would have to be quick to connect with this migrant, which always passes through at this time of year. An initial glance across the broad gave up nothing bar a few Great-crested Grebe, and I instead busied myself checking the water levels and checking the moorings. A Hobby flew overhead, launching itself into  an aerial assault on some poor insect. My first of the year, and a bird I never tire of watching. A look back to the broad, still quiet. The silence was broken by the squawk of  Tern, and 2 Common Tern then honed into view. Not bad- but not quite the bird I was after. Settled in the hide, I waited a while longer and sure enough one then another Black Tern arrived! Three year ticks just like that, the Marsh Terns in particular offering a superb display over the broad.

Later that day,I met with mum, dad and some friends to walk round Church Marsh. We had excellent views of a Cuckoo overhead, as well as a hunting male Marsh Harrier. The heat appeared to render some of the common species a little inactive, so we took dinner at The Ferry before heading to Coldham Hall for dusk. After a swift pint, we heard Grasshopper Warbler reeling, and watched a Hobby pass through. Luckily for them, the 2 Noctule Bats were out a little later and therefore not under threat from the Falcon which did not hang around.

Early this morning, myself and Peter met around 36 folk who had signed up to the SYWG walk round Church Marsh. We split into 2 groups, and I opted to take in the hide and river first. We quickly got onto a Cuckoo in flight, and I caught a brief 'reel' from the meadow. A pair of Shelduck were on the lagoon but wildfowl numbers were actually very low. Further on the trail, I got all excited with a Common Sandpiper on the moorings over the river, new for the year. A Garden Warbler was singing from deep within the riverside scrub nearby. From the foot of the ruins, we enjoyed excellent views of a reeling Grasshopper Warbler, probably the bird of the morning for the group. Having said that, we were lucky to see so many of our 'common' species so well- Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Sedge Warbler and another Cuckoo. We finished with a Treecreeper near the pub. I had toyed with stopping for breakfast, but Peter informed me that his group had seen 2 Avocet on Postwick marshes. I said a few quick goodbyes and headed back to the church and down the hill. The Waders had done a bunk by the time I got there, although I did see 4 Little Egret heading North. The Nuthatch I keep writing off also reminded me he is still there, now in the churchyard. An excellent morning, I am glad so many people came along and hopefully enjoyed themselves. I certainly did, showing and sharing the birds is a delight and I am always privileged to be asked to assist with these walks every year.

Debs and I have just returned from a walk to the river, where looking across at Buckenham perhaps the earlier Avocet were now looking much more settled. Ringed Plover, Ruff and Redshank could also be seen.

 Braving the heat at Church Marsh
 Gadwall
 Common Sandpiper
Claxton Marshes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Phalarope- a new patch bird

The 7th of April was another bitterly cold Spring day, hats and gloves in prime position on pegs and in bags ready to be deployed. A few brave Garganey have been reported north of the river, but it was a bird from the north itself that had me rushing for the thermals and the telescope late in the day.  I was thankful for the local Whatsapp group who were quick to report that a Grey Phalarope had been seen on Rockland Broad. This tiny Wader would have come in on the northerlies over the last few days, although to grace one of the broads is a real surprise, since most stick pretty close to the coast before moving on. Indeed, my experience of the birds has usually been on a sea watch in the Autumn, waves crashing and foam flying, my eyes straining to pick them out as they fly low just above the surf. They are fantastic birds, and now one was here on the patch. I had a brief panic when I realised my scope was in my car at the garage (thankfully I do have a much older spare) but once the ho

A change is as good as a rest

Casting my mind back to February 14th, survival rather than love was in the air for the birds of the Yare Valley. Tramping across the Surlingham corner of the patch, I recorded 8 Woodcock within 2 hours. These Cryptic Waders had been forced out of hiding, and even amongst the woodland floor they were easier than usual to spot against a backdrop of snow. The small pine wood opposite the church and adjacent to the parking area held at least 2 birds, creeping around and huddled up low to the ground. A further investigation of likely habitat around Church Marsh and I was presented with 6 more, a record count for me in a single day. I hope they made it through the trial sent from the north in the form of ice and snow. A Great Egret exploring a dyke at Postwick must've been thinking twice about the whole range expansion thing. However, a small Squadron of Bewick's Swan and a single Goosander over Claxton fitted the mise en scene nicely during this period.  That image and that day fee

Foulden Common- Skippers and a Hairstreak

Been meaning to get to Foulden Common for what feels like years, and it probably is that in terms of timescale! I recall being poorly last Spring, and my days put aside for a Butterfly hunt there were postponed. Before long, the mid-summer doldrums had set in and all thought of Norfolk's scarce Skipper species were put on hold until 2019.  And so despite the overcast conditions and lack of some Bird Therapy, I headed out this morning. Arriving from the direction of Mundford, travelling through Foulden village and approaching an S bend, I noticed a small bowl-shaped pull in. Doubling back I parked up, walked through two gates and began searching the common land. The first 45 minutes had me cursing the lack of sun and planning my next free morning before returning to work. A pair of Common Blue and Small Copper gave some hope, and a hoarse Cuckoo and 2+ Garden Warbler were clearly harbingers of warmer fronts moving in.  As the sun threatened to bust through the clouds, I pic