Why not a definite for me?
- The bright sunshine I was staring into meant that the full suite of ID features could not be obtained. I could not see the primaries well enough to confirm nor deny black patches.
- The bird was some feet above the tree line, and on a bright day with nothing to compare this bird to in terms of size, the usual caveats exist.
- I did not notice streamers or particularly long tail feathers, but I could not say for sure it was very short either. The direction of flight did not help.
- I have never seen this species before! I dipped both the Thornham and Buckenham birds.
- Can I honestly rule out Royal Tern? In that light and again with no experience of either in the field, I'm not sure I can, however unlikely.
- I never find anything decent.
Any thoughts welcomed.